Saturday, November 11, 2006

Can't touch this

I'm typing this one-handed while Ari sleeps on my lap... she fell asleep in the car on the way home tonight, but then she woke up on the way in (stupid cold, damp wind) and I nursed her right back to sleep in my lap.

We've had a busy day- first, we woke up and went to a mom's house for a playgroup while papa slept. Ari had soooo much fun wandering around like a little crazy girl. Highlight of the morning: we were eating beans and salsa on tortilla chips, and I wanted to try to feed her some black beans- she usually likes beans. They were kind of soupy, though, so I was trying to feed her some on the end of a chip. She wanted to do it herself, though, and she ended up grabbing the chip too hard, and PLOP! Beans in the face. Messy, yet hilarious. :)

Then, we went home (once papa was awake) and Ari stayed with him while I went to NWAV. Listened to some interesting discourse talks†, and then caught the bus home. It was really drizzly and cold and horrible, too.

Then, we kinda cleaned the living room and failed to eat dinner... At least the Halloween stuff is finally put away. Huzzah! Then, Ari and I packed up to go to the NWAV party! Ari had a fun time- no one was on the dance floor, so she monopolized it. She rocked out to M.C. Hammer and the Ghostbuster theme. :) Walt Wolfram was standing near the dance floor, though, and she kept beelining for his legs... I should probably have used it as an opportunity to say "hi", but we all know what kind of wuss I am.

Case in point: at one point in the evening, Bill Labov came up and shook Ari's hand. Did I say, "Hello, sir, I'm a grad student here. Pleased to meet you."? No. I choked all up and said something incoherent about Ari just learning to walk, and he looked at me a little funny and went away. Well, it wasn't quite that bad, but you get the idea. I need to get myself not to be so intimidated by these guys...

Anyway, it was a great party, and Ari had a good time. Several people commented on how well behaved she was- despite the beelining for Walt Wolfram's legs, which may have been just good taste in sociolinguists.
__________
†One of which that was about intensifier use in blogs and forum postings... believe it or not, at one point, the researcher categorized different subcultures according to, I kid you not, "so/fuckin' space". Anyway, I find myself slightly self-conscious about my intensifier use now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scaredy cat! They are just people, too. You should have introduced yourself.