Sunday, June 18, 2006

But his trunk is still tore up

I thought I'd put these into a whole separate entry, and everything. These are some of the projects I worked on today.

On the right is the dress that I wore to my brother's wedding, refurbished and wearable again- although considerably less modest. I haven't been able to wear it in just about exactly three years. Around this time in 2003, just before we moved to Columbus, I was at a birthday party in Gainesville. One thing led to another, and I ended up colliding with the asphalt at a high rate of speed (but I still love the person responsible! ;) ).

Anyway, my right side hit the street first, and the experience wore a sizable hole through the dress about where my hip bone was. Not tore, wore through. There was nothing I could thing to do with this big, unmendable hole except patch it, and I just never got 'round to doing it. I probably would have thrown it away, except for the sentimental value. And also, y'know, the fact that I actually quite like the dress.

Well, I was at a Blessingway on Friday, and someone there suggested me to just separate them, and turn it into a top and skirt. As you can see, it worked smashingly, and now I get to wear my dress again! Oh- on a somewhat gross note: as I was hemming it I noticed that there were all these little dried up bits of Julia flesh stuck to the edges of the hole. Eeeeewwww.

On the left is my second big project. That there is a sling made out of solarveil, a fabric that blocks UV rays. It also dries very, very quickly- so it makes an ideal water sling. Plus, it really just looks like gauze. It's very light and breathable. I thought it would be nice to wear something a little cooler for the summer. Plus, I was kinda hoping that I'd get to take my little girl to the pool this summer. :D

On top of all that, I also made little fleece tags for all my microfiber diaper inserts. Thad has trouble telling the different sizes of inserts apart, so I labelled them for his convenience. And so he doesn't have any excuse not to fold and stuff the diapers himself. ;)

Anyway, I like having a tangible set of accomplishments like this. Oh, and I like sewing. Maybe I should do more of it now and again.

No comments: