Tuesday, May 23, 2006

I never knew what love was

Check out the eating of the broccoli! Or, more like, the gumming of the broccoli. She had a grand ol' time sucking on it. I did actually take another sprig and grind it up with the food grinder so she could have some to actually eat, but she didn't care. Ah, well- the point of solids at this point is new flavors and textures, anyhow, so I guess whether she actually consumes the stuff doesn't matter.

I went to bed early last night (rather than writing here, for example) but stayed up late reading a book. It made me do a lot of thinking about being a mother and life choices and such. One interesting thing- the book is a collection of essays. Most of them are written by mothers, but some are written by women in anticipation of motherhood. In every case, I was able to identify the essays written by non-mothers well before they actually gave me that information. It's incredible how much I live in a totally different world than before I had Ari.

I was kinda ticked off in the book by how little attention was paid to the stories of women who must work to support their families. Most of the women who were writing were working for a sense of personal fulfillment or something. One woman, who had a nanny, commented that the nanny didn't experience the same agony of conflicting feelings about working, because she had to for the money. And, y'know, poor people don't have feelings anyhow. (*squinty-eyed look*)

Anyway, check out Ari enjoying the empty GuaranĂ¡ bottle from Sunday's excursion! I finished it off with dinner tonight, and she got to enjoy the results.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hiya Julia. We're leaving later tonight and we are going to be done interviewing by the 27th, then we're coming to see you. In case you have forgotten our cell numbers, I'm going to email them to you at your yahoo address. We need to make plans to meet up.