Friday, April 28, 2006

Milk and raspberry mousse

We had all kinds of A Day today, on this lazy Friday when I wasn't at the Naylor lecture like I might a' been. Ari woke up at her usual time this morning, and Papa was off to teach fifth-graders right after getting to give his girl good morning kisses. She was bright happy shiny in the morning (as is her wont- she's a natural morning person), but wouldn't go down for a nap at 10:30. Well, that is to say: she went to sleep, but refused to let me get up, and after 35 minutes of me trying to get her to let me unlatch, she decided she'd rather be awake than asleep if she wasn't going to have a nipple in her mouth.

So, she didn't nap at 10:30. She stayed up and played on the floor while her mama sat near her and graded papers. Then, about 1:30, she nursed to sleep in my arms- but she didn't stay asleep; she was awake again after about a half hour. Rick and Brooke came over in the afternoon to bring me my milk from the deep freeze, and Ari and I walked it over to the milk bank. After we got home (she was definitely acting fussy and tired), I laid down with her again and tried to get her to nap- no dice. About then, Grandpa Marcus called to let us know he was about half an hour away, and I went into cleaning-up-panic mode. :) I had thought that he would be arriving closer to the evening, and that I would therefore have Thad to help me, but no- I was on my own.

Anyway, I did the necessary cleaning while Ari hung out in her cosleeper (and taught me a lesson about leaving pencils too close to a standing-up baby's grasp) and Thad and Marcus arrived more or less simultaneously. We had a nice evening, including some fancy duck pizza, lobster bisque, and venison chili. Ari was still way tired when we went out. I was afraid that she'd be fussy, but she was a total sweetheart. I think it helped, too, that we sat outside (she loves outside).

She passed out with some difficulty after we got home, and has been sleeping like a log for the last hour and a half. On the morrow, we intend to go a-viking.

P.S.: The word of the day is "strip-pocolypse".

No comments: