Monday, July 10, 2006

All the tracings match

Thad didn't work tonight, so it almost feels like a weekend. Alas, it is but a Monday, and the weekend is long days away. At least tomorrow night is Pendragon (Thad also doesn't work), so I have that to sustain me.

You may have noticed many nights of Thad not working. Unfortunately, Target doesn't give new guys all that many hours- Thad only has 5 workdays in two weeks. We have some friends who have worked there longer who get decent hours, so we hope that maybe soon they'll start paying him enough to cover our rent. That would be nice. In the interim, I guess the silver lining is that he's not working very much in my final days of MSSI.

I'm really enjoying the MSSI, but I feel like a bit of a fraud, because I don't know enough Slavic to be able to sightread. At all. And I'm having serious difficulties doing the readings at all... I did tell them when I applied for the program how little I knew, though. And Dan (one of my professors) knows exactly how much Slavic I don't know, because I took his History of Russian class last Spring.

I just feel lame not being able to do readings in class, and whatnot. Today, I had the following exchange with my professor:

Predrag: Julia, would you like to read this next part?
Me: No.
Predrag: Um... okay.

See? LAME. I try to tell myself that I have other qualities that I bring to the table, but my other qualities are not too much in demand. Except for the part where I kick ass at tracing watermarks.

Anyway, check out the sweet baby photos. Thad and Ari actually came and lunched with me, and I took them up to see the Hilandar library, where the MSSI is being held. Everyone cooed at the girl. She kinda refused to go to sleep at a reasonable hour, though, so Thad had to sling her down (as you can see). And we successfully prevented Cthulhu from getting his tentacly appendages into our world, so it was all in all a good evening.

No comments: