Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pouring gasoline on the sun

Today is a day Thad works, so that means today was a busy day. When Thad works, we go on kind of a weird schedule. I get home when I get home- usually around 5. Although, in my brain, I want to say that it's 4:30 or 5- but let's be realistic, here. When I get home, I sit down and immediately nurse the girl. I make Thad put my milk in the fridge. As a side note, there were several times in the past when I forgot to put my milk away, and it had to be poured out. This made me and the Baby Jesus cry, so it's best avoided in the future.

After the milk is put away, I send Thad upstairs to bed. After nursing the girl for a while, I serve myself first dinner. Then, while he's asleep, I have two jobs:
  1. Keep the girl quiet enough that he doesn't wake up. This is a startlingly easy job, as it turns out. Thad sleeps like a frikkin' log, and our bedroom door blocks a lot of sound. Ari was outright screaming for hours the other night, and he slept right through it.
  2. Have dinner ready for him when he wakes up at 8:30.
Today, we were low on food (as a result of the continuing carlessness we suffer under), so in order to fulfill job #2, Ari and I actually hiked the nine blocks and back to go shopping, stroller in tow. As I was walking back home, a (nearsighted?) elderly gentleman made a comment about me having two babies; I replied, "Nope- just the one, and a hell of a lot of groceries!"

It wasn't actually a hell of a lot, I should confess. But it was probably a few more than I should have been hauling in the stroller, and I had just pushed it 8 blocks while wrangling a wiggly baby. In any case, it was a nice day for a walk, and I think Ari and I both really enjoyed it. We miss each other when we're away, and it's nice to be close to each other for a while.

In any case, I successfully got dinner on the table, and night-lunch packed for Thad, and him out the door on time. I also got the baby to bed by 10:15. Go me.

You may have noticed the addition of new meals- each of us is up to 4 meals per day:
  • Breakfast- Thad and Julia, but not together
  • Lunch- Thad and Julia, still not together
  • First dinner- Julia, while Thad sleeps
  • Dinner- Thad and Julia: together at last!!
  • Night-lunch- Thad, while Julia sleeps
And basically, dinner is the only time we see each other on days Thad works.

In happier news, my Opa-pa is out of the hospital (he was sick), and home. Without any major surgeries, even.

No comments: